One year ago yesterday I started Moonlight Reflections. I had no earthly idea what I was doing then when I wrote my first blog, Hello world!, and one year and 110 posts later, I STILL don’t know what I’m doing. I can honestly say, I’ve enjoyed this year and I have learned some things. Writing is something I’ve always loved, and despite not being very good at it, it’s always been something I’ve wanted to become better at. It’s just been a fun year and I’ve enjoyed writing. Here are some of my thoughts on this past year of blogging.
- I still have a heck of a lot to learn about blogging.
- Writing is very therapeutic for me. Some of the most difficult blogs I posted were also some of the most therapeutic. And by some of the comments I received, I suspect the posts were therapeutic for some of my readers as well.
- I love reading blogs as much as I like writing them.
- I am constantly blown away by the quality of writing I find in some bloggers. There are some really incredible writers out there. Many nights I have sat at the computer reading blogs and been brought to tears by what I read.
- I used to love to read Letters to the Editor in our local paper. In years past, they always awarded three stars to a particularly well-written letter (I don’t believe they do that any longer). I wrote several Letters to the Editor over the years and have to admit I was often baffled at how they chose what letters to publish. The letters I often put the most thought and time into that were by far my favorites, were the letters that were usually never published. Yet the letters I often wrote hurriedly or on a whim (the letters I thought wouldn’t have a chance of getting published), were letters that often received three stars. Go figure!
- I’ve met some really nice people out there in the blogosphere.
- I wish I would have paid more attention in my English classes!
- I am seriously considering taking a writing course and a refresher course in grammar because I swear I think some of the rules of grammar have changed since I learned them.
- I’ve learned that there are certain times when writing isn’t going to happen, times when I just can’t get my thoughts together. At those times, I just need to wait it out and not force myself to write.
- There are still topics I would love to write about but haven’t yet got my courage up. Maybe one day….
- Sometimes pushing the publish button is preceded by lots of anxiety and can be absolutely terrifying.
- I plan to get a little more organized in this second year of blogging. I know I need to be a little more consistent about posting. My goal is to post several times a week and not go an entire week without writing like I sometimes do now.
- I have really been slacking in blogging these past few weeks but I’ve had a pretty good excuse with my “baby” graduating from high school and with trying to get him prepared for college. And I’ve also been under the weather with a horrible cough that my doctor is trying to figure out the cause of as we speak. Hopefully, my slacker days are coming to an end.
- I know there are things I can do to try to promote this blog a little but to be honest, that isn’t one of my priorities. Having fun with this blog and learning the ropes, however, has been a top priority of mine for this first year. That and getting up the courage to press the publish button.
- I vow one day to learn how to quit being so long-winded and publish much shorter posts. So far I haven’t quite figured out how to do that. I once received a call from the Editor of our local paper who told me that she would love to publish more of my letters but many of them were just too long. I had to laugh because she wasn’t telling me anything I didn’t already know. If she only knew how I had struggled to get my letters shorter.
To those who keep coming back to this blog to read it, I want to say thank you. I hope year number 2 will be a year that I will be able to learn more about blogging and show some improvements! I sometimes think I would like to take a photography class as I know even less about photography than I do about blogging which makes me feel I should offer apologies about some of the hideous pictures I have posted. Sometimes after spending hours trying to get a better quality picture, I just finally have to call it quits and go with what I have. Again, it’s a learning process.
In celebration of the one year anniversary of Moonlight Reflections, I plan to do another fun giveaway just to say thanks to my readers. Please stay tuned for details on this giveaway that I will provide in a post later this week (since I haven’t yet planned what I will be giving away)!