Today’s daily prompt: If you could un-invent something, what would it be? Discuss why, potential repercussions, or a possible alternative.
I’m afraid my answer to this prompt won’t be too popular but here goes anyway. I would un-invent alcoholic beverages. Alcohol causes too much pain and heartache in this world. I’ve lost loved ones due to alcohol and in my opinion, one death to alcohol is one death too many. I’ve seen it destroy people and families. It’s sad and tragic really. And senseless.
This prompt also asks what the repercussions would be.
Less health problems
- less liver disease such as liver cancer, and cirrhosis
- less heart disease/high blood pressure
- less cancer– cancer of the mouth, larynx, esophagus, colon, breast and liver
- less depression– alcohol is a depressant
- less pancreatitis
- less dementia
- less nerve problems
- less impotence in men
Less social problems
- less domestic abuse
- less child abuse
- less divorce
- less job loss
- less loss of friendship
Less financial problems
- alcohol is expensive. Alcohol abusers have less money to pay for necessities
- alcohol abusers/alcoholics often neglect to pay their bills
- alcohol abusers/alcoholics often are unable to keep steady employment
Less alcohol related driving deaths
According to the CDC website:
In 2010, 10,228 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (31%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.
US adults drank too much and got behind the wheel about 112 million times in 2010. Alcohol-impaired drivers* are involved in about 1 in 3 crash deaths, resulting in over 10,000 deaths in 2010.
*These drivers had blood alcohol concentrations of at least 0.08%. This is the illegal blood alcohol concentration level for adult drivers in the United States.
I think the world would be a lot better place if there were no alcohol. I wish it didn’t exist.