Today’s daily wordpress prompt: Have you ever made a New Year’s Resolution that you kept?
I’m not much of a New Year’s Resolution maker, especially now that I’m older (and hopefully wiser). I have made resolutions in the past–typical resolutions like resolving to eat healthier, lose weight, read more, get more organized, etc., etc., etc. Some of these I’ve kept, some I haven’t.
This year, I’ve decided to join those who instead of making Resolutions, choose one word as their theme for the year. I’ve put some careful thought into this word and prayerfully asked for God’s guidance in choosing the right word. The word that has come to me time and time again is the word “Silence.”
Silence–1. the state or fact of keeping silent or still 2. absence of any sound of noise; stillness 3. a withholding of knowledge or omission of mention 4. failure to communicate, write, etc.
So in keeping within this theme of “silence” this New Year, I hope to:
- be slow to speak, yet quick to listen
- always know that my words are powerful and always have consequences and realize that sometimes its best to just not saying anything at all
- be more attentive to God’s still small voice, which will require that I be still and silent
- constantly ask for the Holy Spirit’s guidance and wisdom in knowing when to speak and when it is best to remain silent
- say only what honors God and brings Glory to Him
- never gossip
- be reminded that my whining and complaining are disrespectful to God and to stop–Just. Stop.
- start my day having alone time with God
- always speak the truth
- use kind and gentle words that encourage and build up, never discourage or tear down
- say something good or don’t say anything at all