Today’s WordPress daily prompt: Shock
So many things came to mind upon seeing the daily word prompt for today.
As a veterinarian, I’ve seen lots of shock and all its many forms. There was the traumatic shock from hit by car injuries too numerous to count. It was sometimes very difficult convincing owners after their animal had been hit by a car that it was their pet’s shock that needed my urgent care and attention, not the broken humerus or broken radius or broken pelvis. Shock kills. It was imperative that the shock be treated and the animal stabilized before the broken bones and wounds could be attended to.
There were the many cases of hypovolemic shock from severe vomiting and diarrhea in parvo puppies. Parvovirus could hit so hard and fast that many times the puppy would die before it ever reached the veterinary clinic. I always used to say that if every dog owner could witness a case of parvo and what it does, they would not hesitate to vaccinate their dogs. It’s a horrible disease. I spent many a weekend at the clinic on my off time treating parvo cases and standing over a table giving IV fluids to little 10 lb. parvo puppies. I’m still haunted by some of their stares. Pain in their eyes and eyes who looked glazed and hollow. There is a uniqueness to the lethargy and depression that parvo brings to an animals demeanor that I never quite experienced with any other disease. Eyes that stared at me and sometimes seemed to be saying, “Just let me go, I’m not going to make it through this.”
There were cases of anaphylactic shock from bee, wasp and hornet stings or allergies to penicillin and other medicines.
There was neurogenic shock from severe spinal injury cases. And cases of septic shock from severe infections.
And I remember a couple of cases of electric shock in animals who had chewed on electrical cords or birds having run-ins with electrical wires.
There was the time when my sister, at the age of 16, had to undergo surgery. When she was brought back into her hospital room from recovery, a young and inexperienced nurse volunteer (in those days they were referred to as candy stripers) literally hit the panic button because she mistook the side effects from anesthesia for shock. My mother said all of a sudden alarms were going off and medical personnel were running into my sister’s room at breakneck speed. It scared my mother so, that she fell to the floor in a dead faint.
I experienced emotional shock several years ago when a good friend of mine called me late one night to tell me our close childhood friend had been killed in a car accident. I learned how strong shock and denial could be that night because I truly believed it was all a case of mistaken identity and that my friend was alive and well just as I was alive and breathing. It wasn’t until early the next morning when her husband called and told me it was true, that I realized she really was gone. I’m not sure I’ve ever gotten over that shock.
Shock appeared again a few days ago with the unexpected death of my brother-in-law after a surgery that we were told had gone very well. Total shock. Because this wasn’t supposed to happen.